*Please note - some of the below links are affiliate links, which means I will make a small portion of the profit if you purchase services (at no extra expense to you). I will only ever promote affiliate links to organizations or products I've used and can wholeheartedly recommend.
Hi friends! June was my seventh month of blogging. So exciting – I feel like the blog is moving from the baby blog phase to the adolescent phase! This month was crazy – let’s get that out there. I went on a long vacation and we made a major decision to move from Qatar to the Chicagoland area. I’m thrilled, but we spent a good part of June looking for houses and I didn’t have the normal amount of time to spend on my blog.
Here’s my little precursor to these reports and why I do them – I think it’s important for some bloggers to share their traffic and income because:
- It encourages other bloggers to see areas for growth and insight into what I’ve found is working (or not working!)
- It encourages me to keep going as I see growth and exposes some areas I need to work on.
- It gives non-bloggers an interesting, behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to run Shiny Happy Bright.
Here’s how Shiny Happy Bright did in June 2016:
What made June special
My husband and I decided to move! We love our jobs and our friends in Qatar, but we always knew we wanted to head back to the States at some point. We’re moving to Evanston, IL to continue working for Northwestern University (Go ‘Cats!). I’ve scoped out the best supermarkets and found a great apartment to rent with a majorly nice kitchen. I also spent a good deal of time at the Evanston Farmer’s Market and loved what I saw – so expect some great recipes in August when I get my hands on all that produce from the farmer’s market!
Social Media Followers
I really don’t know what to do with Twitter. I mean, I have no idea how to grow it and I feel awkward using it. Any recommendations are appreciated! However, I feel like I’m really getting better at Pinterest. I use Tailwind to schedule everything and I’ve joined several group boards, which are helpful for finding other blogger’s content and widely disseminating your own pins.
Traffic for June 2016
Oh, the summer slump! I’m feeling it. I’m getting a steady stream of pageviews each day, but I’d love to see these numbers go up.
Top 10 Sources of Traffic
Pinterest referrals are really growing – which is awesome, since I’ve been working hard to get those numbers up. Also, I’m thrilled I’m getting more referrals from Google. I’ve listened to several podcasts and read up on SEO, and I know that’s making a difference.
- Squarespace – $18
- Food Blogger Pro – $29
- Tailwind – $9.99
- Mailchimp – $10.00
- Hootsuite Pro - $14.99
- SumoMe - $16
- Pinterest Promoted Pin - $3.00
I didn’t make any income this month. However, I did apply to the Gourmet Ads network and implemented it in July.
Goals for July/August 2016
- Get the ad networks sorted out – the ad script of the ads is messing with my Squarespace template. I need to get that sorted before I go all in on ads.
- Keep posting during the big move to the US!
- Create high-quality, delicious, and user-friendly recipes with an emphasis on healthy and mostly-vegetarian foods and post them 3 times per week.
- Connect with a community of healthy foodies and other bloggers
- Create an e-book on simple, 5-ingredient recipes and make it free for download when someone joins the mailing list.
- Increase monthly traffic to 50,000 page views by December 2016.
- Grow my newsletter contacts to 1,000 by December 2016.
Thanks for reading and thank you for your support in June 2016!