*Please note - some of the below links are affiliate links, which means I will make a small portion of the profit if you purchase services (at no extra expense to you). I will only ever promote affiliate links to organizations or products I've used and can wholeheartedly recommend.
Hey all! This is my sixth traffic report (and sixth month of blogging). I have continued to enjoy the process of blogging and was happy to prove to myself this month that I could still blog, even when I'm very busy at work and have an increased social calendar.
Traffic and income reports might seem like an odd thing to do, but I think they’re important and helpful for a couple of reasons:
- It encourages other bloggers to see areas for growth and insight into what I’ve found is working (or not working!)
- It encourages me to keep going as I see growth and exposes some areas I need to work on.
- It gives non-bloggers an interesting, behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to run Shiny Happy Bright.
Here’s how Shiny Happy Bright did in May 2016:
What made May special
The fact that I was able to keep posting! May is my busiest month. In my real job I have an intense event I run in May that requires a lot of time and energy. Plus, I went on vacation this month (to decompress from the big event) and then got strep throat and was completely worthless for four days. I was very proud to get the recipes up that I did - even though there were far fewer in May than usual.
Pinterest Traffic Increase - my Pinterest account is really taking off. I'm getting several new followers, but more importantly, several pins from Shiny Happy Bright are doing really well! A few have gotten over 1k pins and are still growing at a steady clip.
Social Media Followers
Is anyone else suffering from the Instagram algorithm changes? I feel at a loss as to how to increase my Instagram presence. It's one thing I need to read up on in June. On the flipside, I'm feeling great about Facebook - I'm using the built in publishing scheduler and have increased my posting schedule and I'm seeing good results. I try to post multiple times a day, but at the bare minimum, I've got at least one post a day scheduled for the next two months.
Traffic for May 2016
My traffic took a hit this month (down 6,000 pageviews from last month) - for two primary reasons:
- I lost the Buzzfeed traffic bump. I meant to keep doing Buzzfeed roundups, but I was overwhelmed with work and travel this month and didn't get to do the roundups on Buzzfeed like I wanted to.
- I had far fewer posts this month. I had 9 posts and I usually have 13 to 14. There just wasn't as much content to promote.
I'm disappointed, obviously, by the lower traffic, BUT I'm still so happy that I was able to post as much as I did.
Top 10 Sources of Traffic
Look at that increased Pinterest traffic - it doubled from last month! So exciting. I'm finally seeing the payoff for all the work I've been doing on Pinterest.
- Squarespace – $18
- Food Blogger Pro – $29
- Tailwind – $9.99
- Mailchimp – $10.00
- Hootsuite Pro - $14.99
- Facebook Advertising - $3.00
- SumoMe - $16
- Pinterest Promoted Pin - $3.00
I made $1.50 from Amazon Affiliate income this month. During June and July I'm going to start to add ad networks, so I hope to see increased revenue!
Goals for June 2016
- Keep posting! I'm going on a three-week work/vacation trip in June and July and I'd like to keep a regular schedule of posting. If nothing else happens in June and July, keeping content going will make me feel successful.
- Add advertising to the site. I'd like to add an ad waterfall. This week, I'm discussing a potential ad partnership with one company and will probably add Google Adsense as well.
- Create high-quality, delicious, and user-friendly recipes with an emphasis on healthy and mostly-vegetarian foods and post them 3 times per week.
- Connect with a community of healthy foodies and other bloggers
- Create an e-book on simple, 5-ingredient recipes and make it free for download when someone joins the mailing list.
- Increase monthly traffic to 50,000 page views by summer 2016 and 100,000 by December 2016.
- Grow my newsletter contacts to 500 by summer 2016 and to 1,000 by December 2016.
Thanks for reading and thank you for your support in May 2016!